CHERISHED CHIA TAPIOCA
Searching for something sweet and easy-to-make for your New Years party? Perhaps a dessert that is indulgent and unique, but healthy, too. Then look no further than Cherished Chia Tapioca. Instead of tapioca, the base ingredient is chia seeds, which are high in calcium, protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids. Also in the mix are Brazil nuts which are a formidable source of selenium, a natural inflammation fighter.
1/4 cup Brazil nuts
2 cups water
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup chia seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla powder
Pinch of salt
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Combine the Brazil nuts and water in a bowl or jar let soak overnight.
2. The next day, use a blender to blend until smooth.
3. Strain the milky mixture into a bow -- use a nut milk bag or strainer lined with cheesecloth.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, chia seeds, vanilla powder and salt.
5. Pour Brazil nut milk into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk until wet and mixed well.
6. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving-- chia seeds will swell and thicken in the liquid.
7. When ready to serve, pour into small bowls or, for an extra festive New Years touch, wine glasses. Top with leftover Brazil nuts.
This recipe is from Organic Avenue: Recipes for Life, Made with LOVE* by Denise Mari