PLENTIFUL PINE NUT PARMESEAN
A vegan diet doesn't have to mean depriving yourself of the cheesy delicious side of life! With this recipe, you can have all the "parmesan cheese" you want without ever taking in dairy. It's an excellent topper for salads, pasta, and soup and all you need are four ingredients and a food dehydrator.
- 2 cups (260 grams) pine nuts
- 1 1/4 cups (300 milliliters) water
- 1/2 teaspoon acidophilus powder (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a high speed blender, combine pine nuts, waters, and acidophilus powder and blend until smooth (about 5 minutes) stopping the machine every so often to scrape down the sides and keeping the the mixture from getting to warm.
2. Transfer the mixture into a stainless-steel or glass container, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place it in a warm area in your kitchen (for example, the top of your refrigerator) and allow to ferment for 12 hours.
3. The next day, stir in the salt. Spread a thin layer of the mixture (as thin as possible without it becoming translucent) over ParaFlexx-lined dehydrator sheets. Place in a dehydrator set to 110°F (40°C) and dehydrate for 24 hours, until completely dry and crisp.
4. Pull the cheese from the sheets and break into pieces. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
Makes about 4 cups of cheese shavings (260 grams)