A large percentage of the population gets the winter blues, but believe it or not, changing the way you feel can be as simple as giving your body certain nutrients. When it is cold outside most eat more comfort food, like biscuits and gravy for breakfast, cream-based soups for dinner, and warm apple pie for dessert. Not to mention, coffee intake is increased because you want to sip on a hot beverage. Suddenly your body is being deprived of the nutrients it was getting all summer from your breakfast smoothie and veggie-loaded salads for dinner. These vitamins/minerals play a huge role in your mood. Plus, there are a few extra nutrients that can make you feel a little more positive that aren’t always easily consumed in the average diet.
- Walnuts – Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for a happy brain. Not a walnut fan? No problem! Flax, chia, and hemp seeds are all great sources.
- Apples – Apples are loaded with fiber to keep your energy levels steady. The great thing about apples is they can be packed in your briefcase, school bag, purse, etc. They are truly the most convenient fruit to eat.
- Berries – Fresh berries help prevent the body from releasing cortisol, which is a hormone that affects your mood.
- Lentils – These versatile pieces of yummy goodness are packed with folic acid, which is used to create serotonin. Lentils can be eaten plain or used in a wide variety of recipes. Other foods full of folic acid include leafy greens, black-eyed peas, oranges, oatmeal, and sunflower seeds.
- Nutritional Yeast – Low levels of B12 are associated with depression. Non-vegans get B12 in a number of animal-derived foods, but there are few vegan sources. Nutritional yeast happens to be one of these rare treasured sources. It comes as a powder or flake form and tastes like cheese, so sprinkle it on everything from salads to steamed vegetables.
- Bananas – Start your morning with a banana, and see how different you feel when you get to the office. Bananas contain high levels of tryptophan, which calms the nerves. It also has natural sugar for energy and potassium to fuel your brain. As a bonus, bananas are full of magnesium, which reduces anxiety and improves sleep patterns.
- Herbs – Valerian root, St. John’s wart, lemon balm, rosemary, chamomile, and kratom are all recommended to help fight the winter blues.
Need an Easy Fix?
Are you always on the run, and just don’t have time to prepare meals 100 percent of the time? Maybe you are so busy in meetings or taking care of the kids all day that you are lucky to even eat lunch. Keep Organic Avenue’s Booster 6-Pack on-hand. One of these quick shots will supply you with vital nutrients your body needs to get through the day.